dash cap adhesive

Modelle has repeated a debacle I experienced a couple of years ago; used the
silicone that came with a dash cap which didn't hold and now is a mess.

I don't rightly recollect the silicone on my car not setting; it just
wouldn't hold due to different heat expansion rates between the dash cap and
the dash underneath it.  One or the other of the obnoxious solvents in my
toxic cabinet (separated in content and effect from the rest of my apartment
by a door) took most of the silicone off; coarse sand paper got down to a
layer of the original vinyl.

What worked for me:  the double-sided tape auto body people use to attach
trim.  The stuff sticks like grim death.  I cleaned along the edges, applied
that tape and pressed it down; it shows no more signs of rising than the
wisdom of certain prominent people.

YMWV,
Joe Cantrell