Kendall oil mystery

Does anyone else on this list besides myself and Jim Kirzinger use Kendall 20w50 oil in their V6 Alfas?

Did anyone notice a difference in oil consumption when the color of Kendall's oil changed from that weird green to a more conventional tan color? (I believe this coincided with the change in bottle cap color from gold to red.)

When I switched from Castrol GTX 20w50 to Kendall GT1 20w50 I noticed a reduction in oil consumption. When I replaced the engine's valvestem seals i noticed another drastic reduction, so I thought I'd solved my oil consumption problem, and I reverted to the cheaper, more readily available Castrol. However, the oil consumption returned. So at the next oil change I went back to Kendal, but consumption stayed at the same high level. This is been a very annoying mystery for me ever since, but it just occured to me that my second switch to Kendall oil may have coincided with the changes in their product.

I was recently at an AutoZone in Pittsburgh that evidently doesn't sell a lot of Kendall 20w50 because they still had a few quarts of green-colored, gold-capped 20w50 on the shelf. On the way to Pittsburgh that weekend my car burned 2 quarts of Kendall 20w50 (contemporary--red cap, normal color). After adding two quarts of the old Kendall 20w50 (gold cap, greenish color), my car used less than a quart! Before I go nuts trying to buy all the old-formula Kendall GT1 20w50 in the country, I thought I'd ask the digest for thoughts.

I found this indicating that the reformulated oil should be better, but that's inconsistent with my experience last weekend: http://www.kendallmotoroil.com/techtips/GT1_Reformulation.pdf

I've also learned that Kendall makes a synthetic blend oil that's available in 10w50, the viscosity called for by Alfa but generally unavailable in North America! However AutoZone doesn't carry it, and I can't find anyone on the internet that does either, so I'm not sure how I'm going to get any. I'm also reluctant to use a non-synthetic oil with that wide a viscosity range, but since this stuff is a blend, maybe I shouldn't be too worried. Any thoughts? Anyone know where to buy this stuff?

Joe Elliott
'82 GTV-6