ReRe:CAFE Racers

  Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 21:43:42 -0400 From: "Jim Cheney"
  <jimcheney@domain.elided> Subject: CAFE Racers, Was Import
  Regs

  "Many safety and emission regulations have been altered to
  include them. Fuel economy regs for them are different. As
  far as I know, they are still not included under CAFE (this
  is where the term CAFE Racer arose, underpowered but highly
  stylized cars in the 70's, such as the Mustang II King
  Cobra),"

  Actually, no.  A Cafe Racer was a term for a performance
  motorcycle up through the 60's. Does anyone know where the
  term really comes from?  I dont, but I know it pre-dates
  the 70's - and I've never heard it in the context listed
  above.
Well.

Here's a link to a place where it ( arguably ) all started:

http://www.ace-cafe-london.com/f1.htm

"From this powerful fusion of motorbikes and Rock 4n4 Roll came the
legends of record-racing,- "drop the coin right into the slot"-, and
race to a given point and back before the record finished.

The Ace Cafe, with its combination of motorbikes, speed and Rock 4n4
Roll was the launchpad for many famous racers and the birthplace for
many bands."

Further research, is left to the student...
--

jeff clark
82 Spider Veloce