Re: Surface mount speaker for Spider

John E. Newhagen" <newhagen@domain.elided> wrote:

I just upgraded the radio in my '73 Alfa spider. I always end up with
an extra pair of speaker leads intended to power rear speakers.
Anybody know of surface mount speakers for behind the seats that work?

John,

I have no experience with surface mount, but I installed ordinary 6 by 9
inch rear speakers in my '72 Spider about twenty years ago.  They are in
the trunk just inboard of the shocks, facing forward, with cutouts in the
sheet metal (and rubber mat) near the top of rear well of the cockpit.  The
"grills" are flat perforated  black vinyl-covered metal that conforms to
the shape of the sheet metal and doesn't project--barely visible with the
top up.  With the top down, they are covered up, yet still work pretty well
(you only need bass from that location).  In fact, I led a neighborhood
July Fourth parade recently and played patriotic music through them--loud
enough to be heard by everyone in the parade and along the route.  Top was
down.  It doesn't seem like it would work, but it does.  I did mount the
speakers on 3/4 plywood, which is then attached to the sheet metal from the
rear, to add stiffness.

Hope you consider it.

Bob Wilkinson
72 Spider