Euro 105 air cannister

Dana wrote:
>The first guess was right.  The E is for summer ("estate") and the I is for
winter ("inverno").  There should be a corrugated plastic hose between the
air box and a fitting on the block.

For what it's worth, this particular style of air box seems to have been
used only in 1968 and '69.  Later carbed 105s had an air box with an
elongated snorkel pointing toward the grill, similar to the one used on
Alfettas.<

I parted out a Euro 1970 camtail. It had the airbox with a horn that pointed
to the right side of the radiator. It is now on my "79 spider. It has a
connection for a hot air hose that goes to the engine, near the engine
mount. There is a flapper inside the airbox, with an external lever, for it
to be set to E or I.

My GTV also has a Euro airbox that came from England. It does not have the
long horn, but it has two openings at the front. An oval, horizontal hole is
for "E" and a down- pointing round hole is for "I". It is like the one on
page 70 of "Original Alfa Romeo Spider". Chris Sweetapple told me that this
type was common in RHD cars as the dual brake boosters required the overflow
tank to be moved to the RHS and there was no room for the horn type.

Ed Prytherch, Columbia SC
73 GTV
79 Spider