Replicas -now Alfa SPECIALS (long)

Esteemed readers,

While I was very tempted to respond in kind to the 'optimistic' remarks made
about any 'idiot' wanting to make a replica TZ, I think I'll leave it well
alone at this stage.

By way of some clarification regarding my original request about replicas.  1.
I want to build my own car.  2.  It MUST use Alfa components, the engine at
the very least.

I have long been interested in building my own chassis and started
investigations into building a Locost using Alfetta driveline components.  The
'narrow' body of a Clubman/Lotus 7 copy makes using the Alfetta transaxle
difficult in a low slung design as the wheelbase gets awfully long, although
some people have done the job before.

http://www.racetech.ee/a/cars/est003.htm

I have no problems in welding up my own spaceframe chassis. and it really is
the least expensive component of the build.  My bodymaking skills however are
nonexistent.  This means I am restricted to a body style made of simple curves
out of alloy, such as a Clubman or 1930's "Zagato" style.   Therefore, if I
could source an attractive pre-made 'wide' body, I believe I could build a
chassis to accept it, and the Alfetta driveline.    If it looks like a
TZ/Stradale, then so much the better.  There are some other design cues
available by searching the Alfa protype files.

I envisage a TZ bodied car with transaxle and modified dedion beam (no IRS for
simplicity).  I would likely modify the front suspension to a locally made
double wishbone and coilover design, although re-using the Alfetta lower
wishbone and torsion bars is still an option.  Emphisis is on weight reduction
for performance gains.

Now I never intended to duplicate the complete TZ frame and am not intending
to do a faithful recreation of anyone else's work.  I'd simply like to build
my own car (for the track) doing as much of it myself as is possible.  Most of
the enjoyment, for me will be in the building, not necessarily in driving the
finished product.  Sorry if the concept is alien to some.

I have plans for a 1930's monoposto/sportscar on Alfetta driveline, and I
believe this is what I will eventually build.  The high seating position of
the era allows me sit above the transaxle.  2600 engine anyone ?

COST ?  The monoposto should cost less than U$3000.00 to build, with a TZ
version obviously dependent on the cost of the body.

Zagato threw their own body designs over various Alfa floorpans, so why does
this make the practice off limits to everyone else ?  Howsabout we use the
term ALFA SPECIALS and leave it at that ?

Other Alfa based specials:
http://www.alfaclub.org.au/philstorr/ricci/ricci.htm

http://www.warg.se/  Click on the visitor counter at the bottom of the webpage
for a lot more photos

http://www.spydercars.co.uk/pg2_special_projects.htm

Beatle (Tell 'im he's dreamin') Bayly
Oz
'89 75TS
$100.00 '76 Alfetta (complete) very rusty project parts donor