Re: Out of season rust proofing question

Brian,

I use a stainless steel pump-up garden sprayer.  I guess a plastic one from
a hardware store would work, unless your chosen rustproofing agent melts the
plastic or seals.

I modified the hose to accept a length of 3mm poly hose which we in Oz use
for garden dripper irrigation systems.  It's about a cent for a million feet
(or thereabouts !).  I used this hose so I can utilise the cheap and readily
available spray nozzles used for irrigating garden beds.  Feed the hose into
the cavity, press the handle and retrieve the hose.  Occasionally you may
lose a nozzle in a sill though !

A few caveats:  1.  The agent needs to be thin enough to flow/spray thru the
nozzles.

2.  If you retrieve any agent which runs out, ensure you filter it before
re-use or it will clog the nozzles (at the price I simply throw them out).

3.   Being a low pressure applicator, the agent doesn't vaporise or 'mix'
with the air.  The pressure simply forces straight agent out of the nozzle.
So, you can end up using a lot of agent as it doesn't get applied the same
as spray (does that make sense ?).  I'm still trying to source a nozzle with
finer holes to better spray the agent around.

Wear a respirator and a cheap protective suit with a hood.

I can forward pics if you'd like.

Beatle
Oz