Welding 101

Wow, thanks guys! I did send my email to both the Alfa Digest and the
750-101 group so as to get as many welders opinions as possible. Good
information.

The set I bought is what the plumbing and air conditioning / duct work
guys use on the job. Weighs 35 pounds filled. Small acetylene tank with
fatter oxygen tank.

A question for you who do use an OA rig (see how quickly I picked up
that lingo) to shrink sheet metal, what tip type and size do you use?
The two supplied with my rig are type 17 and are a 0 and a 2. Under the
heating tip data chart supplied with the equipment it calls for a 15 or
30 when using a type 17. Ulp. I do have an Alfa friend  who does most
all of my welding and shrinking and he warned me not to get a rosebud
(believe that's the correct name) type since it heats too large of an
area. I suspect I'm fine with the #2, but don't know where to adjust the
O & A's pressure. As it is, when turning on the O (ever so slowly), it
blows the flame out no matter how I adjust the A's pressure. Suggestions
are welcomed.

Even though I received a very nice response to my email, I promise
(okay, finger's slightly crossed) not to keep asking basic welding
questions.

No, I doubt if I'll ever get into serious welding. Should you do
bodywork, I'm sure it doesn't make your day either when you come across
a high spot. One can either shrink the high spot or use enough plastic
filler  to bring up 'all other' to match the high spot. The latter is
not a good solution.

Virtually any Alfa has been hit at least once and generally numerous
times (no matter what owners say). This causes ripples, often far from
the actual damage. Accident repair shops ignore them and fix only the
accident area - so I get to. Lucky me.

I would like to be able to do a bit of brazing.

Books: My friend did loan me his copy of Fournier's Sheet Metal book.
Very interesting, but there are no basic tips on 'how to light up your
rig', tip choices, and color photos of what the flame should look like
depending on what one is doing (shrinking, brazing, welding, cutting).
He does have about a page on shrinking high spots and working out low
spots. Does the 'Welder's Bible' have color photos? I sure like visual
aids.

While I don't claim to be an expert, I have assisted Mike during the
shrinking process by holding the torch (where he points). He does make
it look easy - though I believe I'll have him build me a stand to hold
the torch when doing the hammer dolly part rather than holding it
between my legs like he does when shrinking solo. He once made me his
version of the long, bent 10 mm Alfa distributor wrench - because he
thought I needed one. It's a work of art.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA