Welding 101

       Sign up for a course at your local area tech school.  They offer many
night courses in many subjects.  Gaining experience is probably as important
as gaining the book knowledge.
       Instead of metal shrinking, an oxy acetylene torch is really good for
turning nice flat sheet metal into warped masses of metal.  You need to limit
the heat during the welding / shrinking process.  Eastwood and others sell
heat absorbing material in cans.  You build a dike around the area to be welded
to limit heat transfer.
       For welding sheet metal, a MIG or better yet, a TIG is far superior to
an Oxy Acetylene torch.  I have an ancient Lincoln stick arc welder, an Oxy
Acetylene torch and a Miller wire feed MIG.  Only the MIG has been used within
the last couple of years.

       While at the area technical school, check out their body work courses.
 Hot Rod Magazine has had numerous articles over the years on body work,
including hammer welding and other custom techniques.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City