Re: Welding 101

Craig,

I've got a OA rig too... I use it for all kinds of stuff, but rarely
welding (esp. sheet metal.)  Too much skill/time required for good
results.  But Biba seems like he's an old school guy, and maybe he's
willing to spend the time to learn.  But he's also a business man...
hopefully he charges by the hour.

If you have a distorted MIG'd panel, the problem was technique not
process.   No matter what the process a big long weld is going to result
in warped panel. Tack it in, and stich the seam together.   On newer cars
you might have to use MIG as it's the only approved process that won't zap
all the heat treatment out of high strengh panels.

As for the hard beads... you can always use the OA to soften them up.  But
a better solution might be MIG brazing.  You can buy silicon bronze MIG
wire, and it's a joy to use on thin and/or rusty sheetmetal.  It's easy to
grind, results in dead soft beads, and the low heat results in even less
warpage.  It will also wet over dirty steel better than hard wire MIG
which has very little cleaning action.

My next setup (probably this winter) will be a nice AC/DC inverter TIG
with a spoolgun.   Should be able to weld just about anything with minimal
setup time and all in a convient 60# package (my MIG welder is about 350#)

--Mark
The Alfa Wiki: http://alfa.denovich.org