Re: where to buy spider cool thermostats

In a message dated 7/16/03 10:09:10 AM Pacific Daylight Time, Matt writes:

> To be honest it could just be a dodgy thermostat. I
>  did replace it during the winter as the car never
>  seemed to heat up properly but was okay in the summer.
Thermostats tend to fail 'open' or to the cold end. Maybe that was happening
last winter along with the clogged radiator.

>  Now I have the opposite concern :-/
OK, was the current thermostat in the car when the oil and water mixed? Was
there oil in the water? Maybe it's been gummed up.

>  It seems to go to about 200-205 which it's never done
>  before. Also the alfa mechanic recommended getting
>  the cooler thermostat.
Under what circumstances is it getting to 200-205? While driving or in
traffic/idling?

I'm rapidly getting beyond my expertise here, but at this point I'd be
tempted to a) check the existing thermostat in a pan of water and note at what temp
it opens fully; and b) possibly replace it with an OEM standard temp
thermostat.

I'm hesitant about putting in a cooler thermostat.

>  Maybe I'm worrying needlessly ??
Is any worry needless when spent on an Alfa? ;-)

YMMV, just my $.02.

Tom
Seattle
6310123