RE: shankle weber conversion behavior

>"... my 77 spider [came] with a shankle weber conversion and euro style
cannister >airbox and I can never seem to get it to idle properly, or
rather, *return* to >idle after it's warmed up and driven. After a long
time, maybe like 20-30 >seconds, it'll finally drop back down to a proper
idle speed. It likes to >linger around 1500-2000 rpms for too long." >  I
had a similar problem with my webers that bugged me for a long time and
when trying to get those idle mixture screws right all of a sudden the
idle speed would dive or race. I could get it to run pretty good but
eventually I took it to a good Alfa mechanic here and he instantly
spotted I had a slightly bent throttle shaft straightened it and then
tuned it. Its been great ever since. The reason could have been the shaft
but could also mean that the shaft caused other problems and once this
guy got the whole thing set up right, I have been able to maintain it
ever since. I am sure someone else will shed some more light on this but
it hopefully opens another line of enquiry for you to check out! Craig
BaulderstoneAdelaide, Aust.'68 1750 GTV