V6 ticking

Original post was thus:-

From: "David Hanley" <david.hanley1@domain.elided>
Subject: 3.0V6 ticking noise

There's a ticking noise around 1000 to 2000rpm coming from the belts
side of my engine, until its warm.

Could it be one of pulley bearings is on it way out or something more
serious ?

Disappears when engine gets up to operating temperature.

Most noticeable under load, whilst driving.

Regards David.
1998 3.0 V6 166 Super

Reminds me of a failure mode of the oil fed detensioner that I came across
so check it out now!

What I found was that the detensioner got so slack under high oil pressure
that it was tapping something (I forget what, but I took the covers off,
ran the engine then turned pale)
These things may not be used on the 166 (cant afford one so do not know),
maybe the design is different to the 164 12V type?

The oil fed type actually produces less tension when the oil pressure is
high - the oil drives a piston arrangement which opposes a spring designed
to give the static tension.

HTH
Jonathan Coates
Huddersfield UK