From: "Dan Hagrman" <dan@domain.elided>
To: <alfa@domain.elided>
Subject: merging lanes early
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 15:40:50 -0500

I don't think "good at merging early" is an ideal trait. I would think using all lanes up to the obstruction is a much more efficient strategy for traffic as a whole than merging early, assuming folks don't wedge themselves in trying to cut each other off at the "mouth". More lanes spread the stop & go delay times around as car after car accelerates and decelerates. Of course I merge early because I'm much more likely to be let in if I get in line quick, and I wonder if that's the reasoning for almost no one using the closed lane.

---SNIP---
My impression that Americans are good at merging early when lanes merge doesn't resonate with Joe's observations. Well, let me just add that I saw a sign in PA on US 30 east of York (2 lanes in each direction). They actually encouraged people to use both lanes and merge just before the obstruction. I am still somewhat puzzled by this sign.

Sonny
'91 164 S
Baltimore
---END SNIP---

[demime 0.99c.7 removed an attachment of type application/ms-tnef which had a name of winmail.dat]