Re: Our Usual Anti-American Tirades

Jerry in Houston wrote:

> I see we are back to our typical anti-American cheap
> shots and of course the italians do everything so
> perfectly well.  WELL, bullcookies.

Jerry,
I suspect there is some truth to both positions! I think that most
cultures adapt to the conditions. My wife and I have driven in Italy twice
and I also did while in the Air Force ages ago. In my earlier experiences,
I was pretty much scared to death! This last time, I gained a respect for
the Italian drivers! Whether in the larger cities or on the AutoStrada.
In the crowded cities, parking is at a premium. When you find a parking
place, you nose into it and leave the rear end of your car in the traffic
lane. If you try to parallel park by pulling past the place, the car
behind you will simply drive into the place! Consequently, when driving in
the slow lanes, there are constant obstacles (ie the rear end of cars)
that you simply blend into the faster lane and then back when you have
missed the obstacle! The drivers in the faster lane see what is going on
and allow the car to blend in and out of their lane! It's kinda like a
choreographed dance. The Italians (actually most Europeans) drive more
aggressivly than Americans! For the most part they seem to love their cars
more also! We Americans (most and not Alfa drivers) have a habit of
pulling on the freeway and immediately getting into the fast lane! That
drives me nuts! I find that I pass them in the slow lane and I am not
speeding! That particular habit seems to be an acquired driving pattern
for Americans. If you were to try that in Europe, you would be run over by
a faster car with it's lights flashing!
Another observed driving of the Europeans is to give the shoulder lots of
room. Consequently they drive closer to the line in the middle of the
road. This is especially true on two lane highways. This is done to
protect the bicyles which are used far more than here. The down side of
this practice is head on collosions!
I suspect that all cultures have their good and bad driving acquired
habits as well as their good and bad drivers!
Drive safe!,
Fred Zimmermann
AROCCC