Re: Our Usual Anti-American Tirades

First off - apologies for meandering off-topic, but I promise to try to bring it back to Alfas by the end of my reply.

Jerry - I'm sorry if I offended you when pointing out that certain aspects of Italian driving is better than American driving. I stand by that. Having driven all over the world - and having driven in Italy for a little more than '3 days' that's my personal opinion. It is too easy to get a driving permit here (the US) - which leads to lots of underqualified people on the roads.

Why do you see that as anti-Americanism. Well - newsflash - there are some things that other countries do better than America. Some things - car design, driving, food and fashion - the Italians are world leading. Others - choosing leaders (Mussolini and Silvio Berlusconi spring to mind), writing computer software, running an efficient administration, fighting wars - the Italians suck at (and the Americans tend to be quite good - as much as I am not particularly fond of Bush jr., I'll take him over Berlusconi any day)

Having lived all over - I've learnt that generalisations are usually true - British food is terrible and their comedy is good; German cars are reliable, but they make lousy lovers; Belgians cook well, but they are much too officious. Most countries have learnt to laugh at themselves - I hope one day, we Americans learn that skill!

So - why are Americans worse drivers?, and what has this got to do with Alfas?
As Michael Porter of the Harvard Business School pointed out in 'The Competitive Advantage of Nations' (business is something Americans are very good at btw) - it has a lot to do with factor conditions and the formation of clusters. Italians (especially in the North around Milan) have lots of twisty BAD roads where you can't go very fast, but need great road holding not to get killed - that's why you get Alfas. Compare that with the average driving conditions in America - wide open, straight roads - that's why you get Cadillacs. Similarly - you get Ducati coming out of Italy, and Harley Davidson coming out of the States - different demands.

And why are Italians better city drivers - because their cities tend to be very crowded with roads that were not initially designed for cars, unlike American cities which are (mostly) fairly quiet and laid out on grids. So again - to drive in an Italian city you need a higher level of skill than to drive in an American city (even LA which is fairly crowded really only calls for the skill of patience).

So - Italians are better drivers and design better cars than Americans because their country has (historically) been poorer and they have worse roads. This, of course, has nothing to do with rudeness - and yes - Italians are well versed at swearing at their fellow drivers.

Now - there are exceptions to the rule - there are Germans with a sense of humor, and Brits that can cook (Jamie Oliver sprang to mind - but he does Italian style food), and indeed even white men that can jump - that doesn't mean ON AVERAGE, the generalization holds true.

Peace and safe Alfa driving.
Andrew

Jerry in Houston wrote:

I see we are back to our typical anti-American cheap
shots and of course the italians do everything so
perfectly well.  WELL, bullcookies
based on anecdotal evidence at
best, Ohhhh I was in Italy for 3 days and yadda yadda
yadda, or no evidence at all.  Characterizing a whole
population as being afraid of their cars or some such
malarky is no different than "white men can't jump"
and "black folks all have rhythm".  Both of which are
pure B.S.  There are good and bad drivers in both
cultures, of course the members of this digest ALL
qualify as above average or excellent drivers....
yeah....right.