AROC Convention Update

Weather warm & balmy as to be expected for FLA this time of year, but by no
means unpleasant. Today was Time Trials at Moroso, the local track about an
hour from Ft. Lauderdale convention headquarters. A beautiful selection of Alfas
(+Ferraris) at hand. This is the first time I have seen O. Delmas Greene's
2000 Vignale, IT IS STRIKING!!! Even the Alfa Script on trunk lid is unique. He
is a great man who was helping a Montreal owner with an unexpected problem.
Just by looking, John Hoard in his 1300 GTA Junior seemed incredibly fast as did
Eric Storhok in GTV (+ wife Ines). These people came all the way from
Michigan. There was Schweikle with Spider from Kentucky. And of course many folks from
all over, some drove & others flew, enthusism for the marque abounds. Also
present some Twin Spark converted GTVs, one belonging to Richard Sirgany (local
Alfa guru) and the other belonging to local club pres & convention organizer
Marc Mosko (his too was done by Sirgany). Another local Alfa mechanic/Guru is
Richard Stephens of Stephens Alfa in Pompano Beach, he used to be the chief
mechanic of the BOBCOR  GTA driven by Bert Everett in the Trans Am series. A very
significant race effort for Alfa Romeo in the late 60s, where the GTAs really
made a significant mark in the popular SCCA races (those were the days).
However, a club member from KY in a lovely yellow GTV re-enacted those days as his
GTV roared around the track.

I met some friends at Moroso from my local chapter AROCNY (the Long Island
club),
Dino & George & Mrs Linton. Back to convention headquarters & more club
member sightings. I always find it amazing at club gatherings to see the faces
behind the names...Wes Ingram, Black Bart, Bob Cozza (of BOBCOR fame), the lovely
people of Off Course Racewear, Matt Jones (Re-originals), Doug Zaitz & on &
on.

Happy Independance Day tomorrow to ALL of you. Convention...SAT Autocross &
Dinner, featured speaker was to be Nino Vacarella of Targa Florio fame, but
could not appear. Instead, Bob Cozza of Bobcor will speak of his experience as an
Alfa dealer in the hey days & his experience with Trans Am racinmg GTAs & the
Aotodelta prepared Montreal (fast but sufferedv in braking). Sunday will be
the concours & award presentations. Will keep you posted.

IF YOU are down here, eat at Chez Porkys in Pompano Beach...Alfa owned...BEST
wings!!!!!