RE: Anyone fitted H.I.D. headlights to a 60s Alfa?

Not
> as bright as my wifes H.I.D. low beams (Audi) but adequate.

I agree, they are not as bright as H.I.D.'s but they sure beat sealed
beams.  I have Cibie z-beams on my '73 Spider and they will melt the
paint off car in front at traffic lights.  The cut off is right at the
trunk line though so on-coming traffic is not bothered.

> However, when I subsequently installed acrylic (perspex) Carello
> covers, I'm pretty sure that the light level went down significantly.
Not
> sure whether it's transmission or reflection, but they seem to have an

> effect.  Does anyone else have an opinion on this?
>
> Robert Wilkinson
> 72 Spider

I too noticed a difference; however, most of it is refraction.  The
covers are designed to be neutral but they are molded with less then
optical quality tolerances; hence the pattern is distorted somewhat.
Nevertheless, the Cibie's WITH the covers are still better than sealed
beam wimpies that blind on-coming traffic.

Best regards,
Richard Arnold
'73 Spider
'87 300SDL