Re: Alfa Museo and Driving in Italia

Overall, I have to agree with you about driving in Italia. Offhand, I'd say that from my experiences, the average woman driver in Italy is far more competent behind the wheel than are 95% of American male drivers. Our Sears-Roebuck method of licensing drivers coupled with TOO MANY laws and a general paranoia with regard to traffic cops, makes Americans really timid behind the wheel in my humble opinion. There is simply no way for the average driver here to acquire any real skill, unless he/she is an enthusiast and willing to spend big bucks at Derek Daily or Bob Bondurant or some such venue .

George Graves
'86 GTV-6 3.0S

On Thursday, July 3, 2003, at 07:38 AM, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 22:57:42 -0700
From: Mark Tamas <mst@domain.elided>
Subject: Alfa Museo and Driving in Italia

I, too, was fortunate enough to spend two weeks in Italia in May. One
thing is for sure: I can't wait to go back. The Museo Alfa Romeo is not
that easy to find. There aren't any signs telling you where to go. I
would recommend having the directions from the Alfa website, which I
forgot to bring. I ended up going to the main gate and asking the
guard. The Museo was nothing short of spectacular- much bigger than I
expected and the brochure/catalog is more than worth the price of
admission (free, although I would have gladly paid the 10Euro that it
cost to get into the Galleria Ferrari, which was a slight disappointment).
I also rented a 156 with 1.9JTD. I had requested a gas engine, but
the diesel turned out to be more than adequate for the task and the
range was much appreciated; not to mention the lower cost at fill-up!
Nice handling car, of course, it made my Eclipse feel like an
understeering slug when I got home!
One last thing to mention about driving in Italy (which I wish I had
more time to write about! Maybe later!). If you must drive in the
cities, make sure you have a navigator! I found it next to impossible
to drive and navigate at the same time and spent more time than I care
to mention being lost with no place to stop and look at the map!
Drivers in Italy are very aggressive- I should say people in Italy
drive con brio- but are very skillful and are paying attention! You
must pay attention as well! I really enjoyed it as long as I didn't
have to navigate. It's kind of like bumper cars without the contact. I
must say I was very impressed with the overall skill of the drivers in
Italy.

Mark Tamas
Eugene, OR
79 116 GT (soon to be two)