Sticky accelerator linkage

In a message dated 6/24/2003 3:19:31 PM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 08:47:18 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Don Banfield <banfield@domain.elided>
> Subject: Sticky accelerator linkage
>
> Hi Collective Wisdom,
>   Just in the last few days, the accelerator in my 88 spider has
> become notably stiffer than it has been previously.

<snip>

> Thanks for the help!
>
> Don Banfield

       I have never had problems with the link that runs across the firewall.
 It is rubber mounted.  Some lubrication probably will not hurt.
       I have had the bellcrank mounted under the intake plenum rust and
stick.  It bolts to the bottom of the plenum with two 8 mm bolts (13 mm head).
Take it off, disassemble, clean off any rust and grease it.  Make note of how
the spring fits before disassembly.
       But before you do that you might try spraying some type of lubricant
on the ends of the bellcrank.  Just as well lubricate the ends of the two
linkage rods too.
       Things are really tight on the passenger side of the Bosch spider
engine compartment.  Remove the radiator overflow bottle and maybe the distributor
cap for access.
       There are also a number of things in the area that the throttle
linkage can rub on and stick.  The main battery cable, fuel lines and the wires to
the triggers on the bellhousing are all in that area.  I have had my throttle
stick slightly when I failed to get everything arranged in that area correctly.