re: Sticky accelerator linkage

Don,
	I've run into similar symptoms before on my Spider.  And I found that
there were two culprits 1) the bellcrank under the intake plenum and 2)
a small bushing on the end of the throttle rod that goes across the
firewall.  A stiff bellcrank reveals itself with a sticky throttle.  A
when you press down on the throttle pedal feeling increasing back
pressure and no engine response, until suddenly the pressure is released
and the engine responds, a bad throttle rod bushing is suspected.  I
think that your bellcrank needs some tender R&R.

	The bellcrank usually needs some lubrication and this requires its'
removal from the engine, taking it apart and greasing.  Just spraying it
with oil will not work.  You need to get your hands scratched up by
reaching down there and doing all your work by feel.  Remove the
radiator tank overflow bottle for better access.  The hard parts are
taking it out and putting it back in, for I think that there are two
bolts that point upwards that need to be removed/replaced and an
electrical ground strap that is attached to one of the bolts.

	The small bushing on the end of the throttle rod is buried down beneath
the starter.  I couldn't see an easy way to get to it (might be
different if I had access to a lift) so I tried a different tack.  I
disconnected the throttle linkage at the bellcrank, disconnected the
throttle pedal from the rod, removed the bushings from the firewall and
twisted-turned-warped the rod until I could get the throttle rod end up
enough for me to work on.  I used a C-clamp to press out the old bushing
and press in a new one.

	I replaced all the plastic throttle connectors at the same time.

	Bruce

	'73 GTV
	'86 Spider