Backfiring (Spica)

In #593 Joe Cantrell replied to Dean Cains regarding Spica stuff.

While well aware I'm not the Digest monitor, but it sure is neat when
someone puts quote marks around the sentences / paragraphs they're
replying to.

Now to the important stuff: Joe sez, "And don't switch over to no
stinking carburetors.  Think of originality, and consider what future
environmental conditions may dictate if nothing else.

"Peace,"

I beg your pardon! I'm looking at page 8 in the official Alfa Romeo
Engine shop manual [Public.n(degree) 2448 - Workshop Manual]. I'm quite
sure those things on the right side of the engine are Weber
Carburettors, along with an attractive round air box / air cleaner.
Can't find a stinkin' Spica in the entire book.

There are delightful exploded drawings of the Weber 40 DCOE, the Solex
40 DDDH-8, and the Dellorto DHLA 40F carburetters.

Perhaps it's a misprint?

I sometimes wonder at the Spica 'originality' card being played when
they might well be going on a car with non original wheels, tire size
and type, seats, steering wheel, and paint color - just to name a few of
the more popular non original items. Oh horror or horrors, you removed
one of the engine bay decals? You sanded off the factory paint runs?

How many questions come up on the Digest regarding sidedraft carbs
compared to the Spica? How many owners have been stranded by the Spica
system as opposed to the sidedrafts?

I'll be the first to admit there is a lot to be said for the Spica -
when it has been completely rebuilt - including new belt and rebuilt
thermostatic actuator - and then installed and set up properly.

I wonder which adds more pollution to the atmosphere, reasonably tuned
sidedrafts or a poorly setup Spica? Okay, probably the sidedrafts, but I
bet not by a huge margin.

Doesn't it scare you a bit there is (supposedly) only one guy who can
completely repair them and the only way they can be fixed is by having
at least one additional donor unit per repair?

I do encourage '69 Round-Tail clients to retain their Spicas since they
(along with their '69 Alfa brethren) were the first to use them.

When nice Alfetta GT's (with Spicas) start selling for $25k on a regular
basis, I'll consider sending in a humble apology. And, no, money isn't
the only criteria, just a benchmark for how much originality is or is
not appreciated on individual cars.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA

Unnh, thanks for the thermostat tip. Makes so much sense I never would
have figured it out.