There is an oil seal on the pump that often leaks and gums up the microswitch for the fuel cutoff solenoid. I've heard the urban legend about the microswitch being removed/replaced with the pump in place, but I don't believe it. After giving the right side of the engine a good cleaning, then running the engine for a while, look for drops of oil on the bottom of the Spica pump, which indicate a leaky microswitch seal. If you do need to remove the pump. do so by removing the 6 10mm nuts that hold the pump to its filter base, rather than unbolting the filter base from the timing cover. The job can be done without getting under the car, and the pump can be removed in less than an hour.

Regards,

Dean

At 04:41 PM 6/19/2003, you wrote:

Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 11:49:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: Terry O'Brien <t_b_obrien@domain.elided>
Subject: Backfiring

Ok, my new fuel pump is on it's way -- thanks to
everyone who provided advice.  I now have a question
about backfiring upon deceleration... what's the best
way to test a fuel cutoff solenoid and microswitch?
If either is the culprit, can they be replaced without
removing the Spica pump?

I checked the archives, but couldn't find what I was
looking for - sorry if this is a repeat.

Thanks.

Terry
'74 Spider