GTV will not idle

Hi All,

I'm trying to get my 1974 GTV 2000 running.  It ran fine before I took
it apart. (Stop laughing please)

The reason why I took it apart was the front engine cover was leaking
oil badly near the alternator mount where the little oil O-ring lives.
In order to get the front engine cover off you have to take the head and
both oil pans out not to mention Oil Pump and distributor.  The engine
did not smoke or burn oil before being taken apart or run hot.

This spring I took the head off in order to take the front cover off.
Everything went back together easily with new gaskets and o-rings.  The
engine runs but will not idle.  I can keep it running if the revs stay
over 3000 rpms. Which leads me to believe the idle circuit in the carbs
are not being used. I recall reading if timing is off it will cause low
or high compression and is bad for idling.  But those marks are dead on
and not 180 out.   Yesterday I checked the compression (hot) and I have
only 90 lb. across all cylinders??  Isn't compression of 150 lb normal
for an Alfa engine?

I have checked & re checked the timing over and over.  All the timing
marks line up, cyl. 1 at TDC, two front cam lobes pointing out and rotor
facing #1 cyl.  I have tried different distributors and coils all to no
avail.  Carb float level is perfect and carbs are clean with new o-rings
& seals. .   There is no water in the oil and no leaks.  When the motor
does run temperature is normal.  I think the low compression is a clue.

If anybody has any ideas or is near Princeton NJ and can help me out I
would appreciate it and willing to pay!

Thanks
Ralph DeLauretis
609-219-9431