RE: GTV will not idle

Ralph DeLauretis wrote:
	---------------------------
	This spring I took the head off in order to take the front cover
off.
	Everything went back together easily with new gaskets and o-rings.
The
	engine runs but will not idle.  I can keep it running if the revs
stay
	over 3000 rpms. Which leads me to believe the idle circuit in the
carbs
	are not being used. I recall reading if timing is off it will cause
low
	or high compression and is bad for idling.  But those marks are dead
on
	and not 180 out.   Yesterday I checked the compression (hot) and I
have
	only 90 lb. across all cylinders??  Isn't compression of 150 lb
normal
	for an Alfa engine?

	I have checked & re checked the timing over and over.  All the
timing
	marks line up, cyl. 1 at TDC, two front cam lobes pointing out and
rotor
	facing #1 cyl.  I have tried different distributors and coils all to
no
	avail.  Carb float level is perfect and carbs are clean with new
o-rings
	& seals. .   There is no water in the oil and no leaks.  When the
motor
	does run temperature is normal.  I think the low compression is a
clue.
	--------------------------

Two quick comments:

1. A significant airleak in the intake system (between the carbs and the
head) could have this effect - it will make it too lean to idle, but be okay
once more air is flowing. Although with effectively a separate carb and
inlet tract for each cylinder this is less likely to be it. Unless the inlet
manifold gasket was wrong in some way so all cylinders are leaking?

2. Yes the compression should be more like 160-180, did you have the
throttle open while you did the test? If the numbers are correct, I'd
recheck the cam timing yet again...

Good Luck!

Mark Battley
Auckland, New Zealand