Re: Alternator light

In a message dated 6/19/03 6:55:59 AM Pacific Daylight Time, Mark writes:

>  When I am driving my 1981 Spider
>  Veloce at night with lights and radio on, the aternator light comes on,
>  and thats with out having the fan on (it gets brighter).

Quite likely your brushes in the alternator need replacing. How many miles
are on the car/engine/alternator?

<snip>
>  Any fixes to this that won't need a loan from the bank?

You didn't mention what level of mechanical ability you have - If you can,
pull the alternator yourself. Then, take it to a local alternator repair shop
(the kind where the little old man does this all day by himself) and have it
rebuilt. It will come back working great. DON'T take it to your local auto parts
store and buy a 'rebuilt' one. They are often worse than the one you pulled
off, only cleaner. AMHIK

Otherwise, take the car to a reputable Alfa mechanic and have them pull the
alternator and have it rebuilt.

>  Will
>  an atrenator from a GTV or even a 164 fit?  any help is given would be
>  great!

I wouldn't bother with this, it's not necessary.

And, in memory of dear departed Fred ...

PUT YOUR NAME, CAR MODEL, YEAR, AND CITY AT THE BOTTOM OF YOUR POSTS!

Hope this helps. :-)

Tom
Seattle
6310123