Triumph GT-6, was Giubos Hookes and Cardan

       I think you have it backwards.  The first two or three years the
Triumph GT-6 had wire wheels and swing axles.  The GT-6 + or plus came along in
1970 with full IRS and disk wheels to offset the cost.  To the best of my
knowledge, the square tailed and ugly final model still had the IRS.
       My first sports car was a 1970 GT-6+.  It was replaced with a 71 Alfa
GTV when my son was born in 1975.  That was replaced a year later with a new
Alfetta sedan when he grew legs and could no longer fit in the child seat in
the back of the GTV.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City

In a message dated 6/18/2003 9:01:39 AM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 22:24:22 -0600
> From: C M Smith <cmsmith@domain.elided>
> Subject: Giubos Hookes and Cardan

<snip>

> Another design using Giubo's was the 68-70 Triumph GT6 for it's halfshafts.
> Curiously, I recall they used a Hooke's joint at one end of each half shaft
> and the Giubo at the other, the non constant velocity aspect would seem not
> to bother the boys at Standard Triumph as I think they were looking for a
> cheap way to accommodate the plunge of their cobbled up lower wishbone
> upper transverse leaf spring irs (makes you shudder just to think of it.)
> The Giubo's were made by Dunlop, presumably under license. This was a less
> than successful adaptation of the Spitfire derived swing axle, and curious
> because they already had a perfectly acceptable double Hooke's joint
> halfshaft suspension on their 2000 saloon series, with the same engine and
> transmission which also found its way into the TR4A, TR5, TR6 and 2500
> saloons. I say less than successful because the GT6 reverted to swing axles
> for 1970 and later cars, rather than true irs the car actually needed to be
> successful. Then the TR7 went to a live axle for gawsh sakes, superior in
> handling to the TR6 but a step backwards nonetheless. No wonder they went
> broke when you consider what a horrible mish mash they had for sale.

<snip>