Re: THREE Hooke's joints in a driveshaft?

John Fox just made my day. To think that there is somebody out there who
follows this sort of discussion, and, moreover, can add to it. Glory.

My source for the three simple cross joints in a nongiuboized Alfa driveshaft
was Fusi, p.453: "trasmissione in due tronchi, con tre giunti cardanici", the
Italian 'trasmissione' being driveshaft rather than the Anglo-American
transmision (which is cambio di velocita, following the French box of
speeds).

Anyhow, since Fusi does sometimes contain errors, I went to the parts book.
The base 1900 had a giunto elastico at each end and a crociera in the middle
in one version, with the single crociera at the rear in another, probably
later, version; the 1900 TI and TI Super had a single giunto elastico at the
front, with crocieri at the middle and rear; and the 1900 C had three
cross-joints - 135624018 anteriore e posteriore, 135824017 crociera centrale.
Page 170-171 in the 1900-1900 Super e Derivate Catalogo delle Parti di
Ricambio. So Fusi was evidently right, and the engineer Satta perhaps wrong in
theory and even, once, in practice.

Thank you, John F.

John H.