Re: THREE Hooke's joints in a driveshaft?

Gentlemen
John H says:
> My source for the three simple cross joints in a nongiuboized Alfa
driveshaft
> was Fusi, p.453: "trasmissione in due tronchi, con tre giunti cardanici",
the
> Italian 'trasmissione' being driveshaft rather than the Anglo-American
> transmision (which is cambio di velocita, following the French box of
> speeds).

I really hate myself for doing this.  Your discussion is at the highest
level, and my digression can only diminish it's value.  However I would like
to know where John gets the notion that the italian "cambio di velocita"
*follows* "the French box of speeds."
Funny, the spanish "caja de cambios" would be a mix of the two.  I believe
that the correct italian term is "scatola del cambio (di velocit`)".  Now
this could follow the French term. But why *follow*?  Did the french use the
term first in the latin world?  That's what I would like to know.
Luca help!!!
respectfuly submitted

Jorge Mazlumian
2 Alfas