Re: Torque tubes and torque tubes (and giunti, etc.)

First off. let me state that I enjoyed reading your reply immensely.
The historical context was, as always interesting and informative.

I was using the term 'torque-tube' in its most modern (I hope) context,
I.E, a method of supporting a drive shaft so the the shaft itself is
relieved of the chore of having to adapt to the relative (and
non-relative) movements of the front and the back of the car. The main
reason for universal joints, be they the twin-pivot type or giubos, is
to allow the rear axle/differential/gearbox of a car to dance around
with respect to the engine and chassis without making the drive shaft
move in any direction that is likely to damage it. Therefore, that the
shaft be somewhat flexible with regard to the X. Y, and Z axis is
desirable in the extreme. Most cars do this with twin-pivot, two axes
universal joints, for X and Y, and a sliding spline for Z. If one uses
a hollow pipe hard bolted to both the back of the engine and the front
of the transaxle or differential, then there is no independent,
relative motion between the engine and the transaxle and the drive
shaft, turning inside of that pipe cannot move in ANY axis except to
spin, and therefore needs no universal joints of any kind.

When I spoke of maintenance, I was referring to the fact that the drive
shaft MUST come loose from the clutch plate in order to replace that
assembly. Unless the shaft is splined so that it can be compressed
several inches, there is no way to detach it from the clutch without
removing (or loosening) either the engine or the transaxle. Just
unbolting the torque-tube from either end still leaves an unmoving
drive shaft connected to both the engine and the transaxle, whether the
clutch is at the engine end or at the transaxle end. One must be able
to move the shaft back to disconnect it from the clutch plate somehow,
and this usually requires moving either the engine or the transaxle
itself to accomplish this. On the Ferrari 275 GTB and I believe , the
Daytona, for instance, to change the clutch (located on the engine
flywheel) It requires that one disconnect the drive shaft from the
transaxle input shaft (after disconnecting the torque-tube from both),
and drop the nose of the transaxle. This affords enough clearance to
pull the solid drive shaft  and it's sheath (the torque-tube) back,
clear of the clutch assembly at the engine end.

Of course, anyone can, if they have the time, money, and ambition,
replace the giubos in an Alfetta with twin-pivot U-joints and a splined
shaft, but the question is why didn't Alfa do it that way, and John
answered that question in part, I think, when he said NIH (not invented
here). But I also think that there may be a more practical reason too.
The shaft on an Alfetta is turning all the time that the engine is
running, not just when the clutch is engaged. Therefore, when a gear is
selected and the clutch engaged, there must be something to take-up the
torque of that long, whippy shaft -especially when starting from rest,
or else the drive shaft could snap. The giubos would seem to allow for
some torsional wind-up that would cushion this action.

George Graves
'86 GTV-6 3.0S