Re: Torque tubes and torque tubes (and giunti, etc.)

Minor quibble, George misread the NVH in my recent post as NIH, Not Invented
Here, understandable enough (enuf?) given established digest spelling
precedents, but I did really mean NVH, which is Noise, Vibration and Harshness
in conventional industry shorthand. (George knows that, but was tweaking the
pedants.)

While most versions of the 1900 had at least one giubo, per Fusi the 1900
Sprint (1951-53, not to be confused with the 1954-58 Super Sprint) had three
cardan (or Hooke) joints and no giubo, from which I assume that the 1900, like
the Giulietta, had sliding splines as well as a giubo.

George's reference to "there must be something to take-up the torque of that
long, whippy shaft -especially when starting from rest, or else the drive
shaft could snap" puzzles; the prewar cars had small-diameter driveshafts,
presumably solid, which should behave like torsion bars, while the 1900 and
later cars had relatively large diameter tube driveshafts, which I can't
imagine snapping. Perhaps it was the cushioning of the 'torsion bar'
driveshaft which saved the earlier style flex joints from giuboesque failure?

My idle speculation. Enjoy yours,

John H.