Copper head gasket - NO WAY!

Another one of those posts I should just walk away from, but...

In #571 John Fielding comments: "Biba mentioned using copper head
gaskets on Alfa ali engines.

"Well IMHO this is a definite NO NO, do not even think about it."

********

I'm curious, John, what is the end result of using a copper gasket in an
all aluminum engine?

Let's be candid, aluminum and magnesium pretty much don't like anything.
How many individuals have removed the wheel centers from say their
Turbinas or 5-Stars only to find a Lot of white powder? How many have
removed the head from their Alfa engine which they always kept fresh
coolant in, only to find fairly, to a lot, of deep pits around the water
passages? How many have had the aluminum outer covering of their Zagato
bodied Fiat Abarth 750's rocker panels turn to dust? Okay, maybe not
many on the latter, but only because they never owned one.

Perhaps not, but wouldn't be surprised if Alfa used copper / asbestos
head gaskets on their early all aluminum engines. If so, probably only
ceased because of cost and the fact asbestos became to be considered
almost worse than radiation poisoning (even when completely sandwiched
within copper outer layers).

Not disagreeing a copper head gasketmight not cause 'additional'
troubles, but how long does it take, and how much?

I mentioned Gasket Works. Went back to their website. Didn't find
anything definitive, but they do mention making gaskets for engines with
iron blocks / aluminum heads. Mention they make gaskets for marine
engines. Mention they have a metallurgist on staff.

They do suggest using their gasket sealant on the copper head gaskets -
primarily since there is very little crush with a solid gasket and it
helps fill any voids. Possibly the gasket sealant also helps in keeping
the two metals from reacting.

Do remember I was replying to Steve Schaeffer regarding his racing GTA
engine's head. No offense to Steve, but rather gather his engine gets
rebuilt...a lot.

Biba
Irwindale, Ca USA