Biba's Superflow clone (was: Richard's 15" wheels, etc)

Biba's Superflow clone(was: Richard's 15" wheels, etc.)

Biba writes "Believe I mentioned I'd never heard of a Spider (not sure about
GTV's) that were actually manufactured in '68 being in the US. Quite possibly
if they were imported, they were listed as 69's on the registration. I'm quite
sure, at least the 1750 Spiders, all came with 14" rims."

The US-spec 1750 Spiders (type 105.62, rather than 105.57 lhd or 105.58 rhd
EuroSpiders) started with #1480001, with that car through #1480259 built in
1968, according to Fusi. D'Amico & Tabucchi give different ending numbers for
the 1968 production; da 1480001 a 1480216 for the 1750 Spider Veloce iniezione
America Tipo 105.62.

"Quite possibly if they were imported"? Where else would a Spica Spider have
been sold? Yes, they would have been sold here and registered as 1969 MY cars.
SOP in the car business. Same thing, of course, with 1750 Berlinas and 1750 GT
Veloces.

And yes, all with 14" wheels only.

Biba's aspiration to do "a semi-recreation of the SSS on a Round-Tail" seems
unrealistic, to me: enjoy the dream, but please put down that cutting torch.
The easiest way would be to start from scratch, building the frame in the
original size, pattern and proportions around 2600 running gear and then
slicing, rearranging and reassembling a roundtail hull or a fiberglass clone
of a roundtail (advantage: one fewer roundtail bites the dust.) A
superficially easier but probably harder way would be to trim a 2600 down to
the platform, shorten the wheelbase by 10" behind the seats, and channel the
sliced roundtail on that, but then two nice road cars would have been mashed
to mimic one impractical show car which had been built on a very tight race
chassis.

But dream on: dreams are free, and generally harmless.

Enjoy yours,

John H.