Richard's 15" wheels (was: re: Offset when welding wider rims on steel wheels)

In #570 John Hertzman comments:

"Responding to Biba's "According to Fusi, Alfa had switched to the 1750
by '68, along with 14" rims", Richard Welty writes "my early 68 GTV 1750
has 15"
steel wheels which are stock so far as i know...

"The parts books all show 1750 GT Veloces and Berlinas
sharing a hubcaps with the larger plastic black ring, and 1750 Spiders using
the one with the smaller ring, (which had first appeared on the 1600
Sprint GT
Veloce) but the photographic evidence, in Fusi and elsewhere, shows the
Spiders using the same hupcaps as the coupes and sedans, year for year.

"Tangent to the subject heading, from fractured wheels I have seen I
would be very antsy about mounting wide, grippy tires on wider rims on
15" wheel
cores. You might get away with it, but - -"

*********

Believe I mentioned I'd never heard of a Spider (not sure about GTV's)
that were actually manufactured in '68 being in the US. Quite possibly
if they were imported, they were listed as 69's on the registration. I'm
quite sure, at least the 1750 Spiders, all came with 14" rims.

Not saying this is the final answer regarding large and small rings on
the 1750 Spider hub caps but partially quoting a photo caption from the
'Original Alfa Romeo Spider' book by Chris Rees: "...This 1969 car owned
by Biba Restorations has the 1600-type narrow band hub caps." It's also
mentioned elsewhere in the book. Jeez, make one little mistake in your
entire life and 'they' hafta put it in print. Never owned the car, did
do the restoration.

To clarify, while not a pressing issue, I would like to consider getting
a set of the earlier 4.5 x 15" rims and widen them 'somewhat'. My
consideration is two-fold: (1) Considerably more tires would be
available (2) As John knows especially, I've been doing the old 'what
if' regarding a semi-recreation of the SSS on a Round-Tail. While I'm
sure it will never happen, one of the 'proportions' between the two
cars, as John so aptly pointed out in a private email, is the much
taller (6.50 x 16") wheels / tires on the SSS. I very much like the way
the wheels / tires fill the wheel wells - even if they were to go on an
otherwise stock Round-Tail.

My personal needs are Not for grippy low profile tires. In fact, I would
like to go somewhat, to fairly much, taller to achieve the look I want.
I just assume (without pouring over tire pages / websites) I would have
to go wider to get taller - certainly wider than a 4.5" rim could
handle. Yes, well aware
they would affect acceleration and of course the speedometer.

The other way to partially visually fill the wheel wells would be to
lower the
car. Then, of course, one Really creeps over speed bumps and steep
driveways. Carrying a spare (two-piece) oil pan, gaskets, 7 qts, of oil,
and tools as standard 'just in case' is not my idea of anything even
verging on practicality.

Not sure if it was for my benefit, but appreciate Thomas Moll giving
the URL of his Spring Rate page.

Probably the answer for my personal needs is slightly taller 15" tires,
wheel rim offset as close as possible to the outside of the wheel wells
(without cutting involved and actually being able to turn corners
without rubbing), and about a half of a coil removed in the front and
three quarters of a coil in the rear.

WHAT I REALLY NEED IS...a close approximation of what the Offset should
be. I'd much prefer not to have to resort to wheel spacers.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA