164 alternator removal-any tricks?

I removed a good alternator from one of my 164s to put in the other one (which is going to the junkyard once the engine and trans are pulled) and what looked like a 15 minute job turned into a couple of hours. I basically removed everything bolted to or clamped to the engine in the immediate area before there was enough room to pull the alternator out.

Is there another way this is done? I can't imagine Alfa mechanics spend a lot of time changing the thing over. I know I should have a manual, but up until now I just wrote checks to the local mechanic.

Thanks,
Bob Pinkowski
'91 164L - off to the junkyard soon
'91 164B