spider 1986 backfire

My 1986 spider does backfire when decelerating. Initially, I found that
amazing and a bit sexy, but now I am aware of potential engine damage.Well, I
found by consulting the digest archives that the subject is not new, but I
fail to find an explanation or way for curing it.Any tips will be appreciated,
especially a physical description of how backfire occurs.