un-grateful dead?

In the past, my '87 Spider's battery has tended to go dead over long
winter stretches with no driving. This year that got a lot worse; the
battery now dies just sitting weekend to weekend (until recently,
that's how often I was driving the car because of my shoulder problem.)

Anyway, what are the consequences of repeatedly trickle-charging the
battery and using the charger to start the car? Does it wear out the
starter to repeatedly attempt to start the car? (i.e., when the number of
attempts to start the car and the number of successful starts is by far
not a 1:1 ratio.) I guess it's time to buy a new battery; I just wonder if
I've done any irreperable damage. I no longer bother to punch in the radio
code...

Tess
p.s. if you're wondering about Olive's general health, she is fine --
albeit in need of new tranny mounts, throwout bearing, top, maybe the
U-joints again, and the aforementioned battery. She's been a busy bee in
the tree-delivery department; since I don't have access to a pickup
truck, she serves to haul stuff for my landscaping project and to date
has hauled a dozen trees ranging in size from 8' to more than 15'. &:-)