Re: Distorted auto glass

In alfa-digest V9 #551, CM Smith was a bit "down" on North American laminated windshields.
Not that I am a great fan of the US auto regs, but I can testify to one use for laminated windshields that perhaps escaped his notice - keeping objects from coming into the vehicle.
Last year, while cruising at 65 on the expressway, a deer jumped into the roadway immediately in front of me.  There was no time to react, and the deer struck my Spider.  No seatbelt or airbag would have kept its body from entering the car, but the laminated windshield did.  The windshield was totally smashed (I was covered with glass fragments) yet it did not shatter.  I probably owe my life to that laminated windshield.
Still, YMMV.
Dave Martin
Endwell, NY