Distorted auto glass

My guess is that Pilkington made a bunch of bad windshields and that's why "they all do that" is the answer. They definitively do not all do that. Defective ones may and good ones do not. if the windshield supplied has optical distortions it is defective and should be replaced at no charge. In fact, what the heck is the installer thinking? The windshield should be checked before it is installed and if defective, sent back for a new one without defects.

There are only a few auto glass brands. Sekurit, Pilkington, St Gobain, and PPG are the only ones that come to mind. PPG and Pilkington have supplied me with flawless glass, as long as it is branded as such. St Gobain may supply Ferrari but they supplied me with a failed windshield as a factory part. Sekurit supplied SAAB with a defective hatch glass on my 97 SAAB Aero.

North America mandates laminated windshields as part of the occupant protection specification. Since North American occupants of vehicles are not required to be restrained by seat belts it is deemed necessary to keep them inside by carefully laminating a thin film of plastic between the toughened exterior glass (thick) and the special (thin) interior layer designed to break into round edged pieces so as not to lacerate should the occupant hit the windshield with sufficient force to actually penetrate it. Incidentally, the movie "Adaptations" contains a cracker of a visual error in that one of the Nicholas Cage characters gets ejected through the windshield of the rent a Taurus. Not possible. The airbag would prevent that if the laminated windshield weren't enough. Funny though in a macabre sort of way. Earlier in the show the key in the ignition chime goes off, reminding all of us, except Mr Cage squared, that the keys are in the ignition. A dumb foreshadowing of the same chime going off as the identical non twin brothers travel off in their rent a taurus without their seat belts on ( quel surprise dans L'Etat Unis, n'est ce pas?) only to collide with the ubiquitous pick up after which Mr Cage no 2 is ejected through the windshield...not possible etc etc. This sequence seems a thinly veiled take off on the swamp scenes in Cape Fear... but I digress.

The proper NA spec windshield will have "AS1" marked on the windshield approximately 80% up towards the top and at the edge. Tempered glass is forbidden for NA passenger vehicle windshields. The old European movie trick of having the occupants kick or punch out the remains of a shattered windshield and keep on truckin' just won't work for Hollywood films.

All other window glass is tempered and not laminated, which reminds me, the enormous hatch glass on my 97 rear window is distorted right at the level of the rear view mirror. Makes every vehicle behind me look like a lean mean cop car. I'd have insisted the glass be replaced under warranty but my P O obviously was less demanding, or possibly less discerning.

Cheers

Michael Smith
White 1991 164L
Original owner