Flushing R-12 on Spider for R-134A?

At 11:23 PM +0000 6/3/03, alfa-digest wrote:
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 16:37:38 -0400
From: ltooz@domain.elided (LLe_2002)
Subject: Flushing R-12 on Spider for R-134A?

Hello all,
The kit to convert R-12 to R134A seems to be easy and straight forward @ PEPBOYS, but the only requirement is to flush all R-12 out of the system, how do we do this and make sure the system is clean of R-12?
My 91 Spider Veloce a/c doesn't seem to click (activated) when I turn on the fan and slide the thermostate to maximum, what can be wrong?
It's only 90 degrees here in the valley, but I plan to go to Vegas soon, I like to get the A/C up and running if I can.

Thanks,

Louis Le
91 Spider Veloce
Fremont, CA

I believe the R-12 has to be flushed by a professional with fancy equipment. For this, and other reasons, I'd recommend going with a hydrocarbon refrigerant rather than R-134a.

For what it's worth, in my GTV-6 with a very bashed-up condenser, it was ~75F outside the other day, 106F in the cabin of the GTV6 when I got in, and 37F at the vents when I turned my AC on. That's with ES-12a hydrocarbon refrigerant from http://www.autocoolrefrigerants.com.

-Joe