Re: 105 brakes -- complete rebuild

On Tue, 03 Jun 2003 10:39:54 +1200 White Anthony <anthony.white@domain.elided> wrote:
> I'm presuming the hard lines will be in pretty poor shape internally, so
> I'm going to replace the lot of them.  I'm planning to use aircraft
> flares and fittings (AN standard).   Is it particularly hard to find
> adapters between aircraft fittings and the Alfa fittings on the
> callipers, master and boosters?

Earl's Performance Products. i'm sure they must have a distributor down
there somewhere.

the part you want is

592032
Caliper Adapter -3 to 10MMF

>  Alternatively, will the Alfa fittings
> accept AN fittings, or be machined to accept AN fittings? (Female
> Grilling will mate to male AN-3, will ISO also mate to AN?)

under _no_ circumstances should you assume that an AN fitting will mate
with and seal properly with an automotive fitting.

ISO (metric) is right now; AN fittings have english system threads.

SAE also doesn't work; the threads match, but automotive fittings have a
45 degree flare and AN fittings have a 37 degree flare. _always_ use the
correct adapter. i know people have gotten SAE and AN to seal, if they
crank down hard enough -- but it's a really really really bad idea, so
don't do it.

> Adjustable proportioning valve -- I want this somewhere where it is
> relatively accessible, but in the engine compartment, not the interior.
> Is immediately after the rear brake booster an appropriate place?

anywhere in the line to the rear should be fine.

here are some other useful Earl's part numbers (i have them in the system
already, making up a parts list of things i need to finish the rear brakes
in my wife's GTV6). the list includes US prices from one source here in the
states:

561903*     3AN tube sleeve (steel)
                            $2.41

561803*     3AN tube nut (steel)
                            $3.19

963203     3AN-3AN bulkhead union (steel)
                            $4.29

502403*     3AN bulkhead nut  (steel)
                            $4.75

63010110   10" 3AN ss/teflon brake line
                           $10.86

i use the bulkhead union when passing brake line through floors or
firewalls or brackets, rather than just using a grommet and pushing the
3/16" brake line through it. there are also bulkhead unions with 90 degree
elbows on one side, and various forms of Tees and Bulkhead Tees.

many proportioning valves use pipe thread (yyeecchh). it has to be lived
with, but don't forget to use the proper adapter from -3AN to pipe thread
as well. and while you do not use teflon tape or pipe dope with flares, you
most definitely do need to use it with pipe thread (yet another reason to
despise pipe thread.)

the US web site  for Earl's is useless, but the UK web site has a pdf of
the Earl's catalog that's well worth grabbing,

http://www.earls.co.uk/full/Earls_full_catalogue.pdf

also, if you're fooling with this stuff, in addition to _Brake Handbook_
(which is excellent), also get _Carroll Smith's Nuts, Bolts, Fasteners
and Plumbing Handbook_, Motorbooks International.

richard