RE: Forced induction Alfas

> A week or so ago, a fellow Digester asked why we don't seem to talk about
> any forced induction projects for our Alfas.
>
> Having done one, I think I know the answer- they are hard to do correctly.
>
> Unlike Miatas, or Civics, or you name it in Sport Compact Car, nobody makes
> a kit for any type of forced induction for our lovely Alfas in the US.  The
> closest I can think of were the wonderful Calloway cars that Martin deCampo
> wrote about last year.  But those were closer to a factory effort than
> anything.

Alternatively, some keen individual could import the factory turbo components, or the entire engine, from a Euro/Australia/South African market 116 Giulietta turbo or 75 turbo.  It was a 1.8 litre engine in each case, with twin dellortos on the Giulietta and injection on the 75.  I believe around 175 hp?  (Luca, can you confirm this?)

Twinspark conversions seem to have some degree of popularity in the US.  I'm surprised I've never seen anyone mention importing a turbo engine and making this conversion.  It would probably even fit in a Spider without having to push a bulge in the bonnet.

Regards,
Anthony White
Wellington NZ
'73 105 GTV