electric fan in spider

The thread continues,
Even though the fan does not come on when the engine is running it does
cycle two or three times after I shut the engine off,
I assume while its thermosyphoning. However, when driving it seems to run a
little hot. Always the same pattern. Upon initial start, as the coolant
warms up,
I can watch the temp gauge rise to (midpoint between 185 and 212 whatever
that is, the only numbers on that end of the gauge) them the thermostat
opens
and it drops to 185 within seconds after that it runs at the same (midpoint
between 185 and 212) This is the same temp it has always run at since I've
owned the car. I did notice while I had the rad out to install the fan that
the "new radiator" noted by the PO was actually a fresh paint job on the
radiator and there are several epoxy like patches in the core. Would this
cause it to run at an elevated temperature? (hereafter assumed to be 198) Is
198 TOO hot? (I wouldn't think so)

Secondly is there any problem tapping off the temp sender for the gauge
(could the sender be in error?) and running it so a simple comparator with a
voltage divider (pot) on the complimentary input? Operating a transistor
with its output would allow for an infinite range of switch setting for the
"fan on" temp.
Discussion?

Dave Partridge
76 Spider
"Free advice is worth what you make of it."