Thumping sound in rear end, 60 Spider

Hi all,
My dad's recently restored 60 Giulietta Spider Veloce has developed a strange
sound that seems to be coming from the rear end/differential. While driving
at almost any speed there is a pronounced thumping coming from the rear of the
car. This happens under load and while coasting but the noise is somewhat
intermitent. We through it was either brakes or wheel bearings and pulled both
rear drums but there seems to be no problem with the rear brakes and the wheel
bearings seem ok.
Is there possibly some rear bushing or other bearing that might be causing
the noise, or is it maybe a wheel bearing going and with the bearings unloaded
(on jack stands) it can't be felt? This one has me stumped, any leads are
appreciated. I realize my discription is pretty weak but the noise is difficult to
describe.

Jim Hart
Oceanside Ca