Re: Electric fan in Spider

Fellow Alfisti:
David Partridge wrote about installing an electric fan in his spider,
along with a wiring kit with temp switch probe/switch.
Recently I had seen an electric fan kit on sale and had considered doing the same and removing the fan bolted to the water pump, when I took a peek under hood of my '87 Spider Quad to see how much work it might be, and lo and behold - it has an electric fan!
In 12 years I've never heard it come on (of course, this is New York - it can be in the 40s on a cool August morn, and I rarely have need to run the AC).
So my question is this: assuming the electric fan works and has proper thermostatic switching, why do I need the fan that's bolted to the water pump?
Why not get rid of it?

Dave Martin
Endwell, NY