Re: Coolant Bypass Hose Restrictor AWOL

>Makes things more difficult, but I still think it would be worth a try
>at DIY reverse engineering. Perhaps there's a off the shelf gizmo that
>could fit in a hose..

>Though the consensus seems to be it's not terribly important.
>Hmmm.. wonder if just a plug with a hole for some back pressure might
>actually be somewhat more effective than nothing, while being easier to do?

Since it should be open when the car is cold and closed when the
car is hot, how about a manual solution? Maybe a valve? Is there
an electormechanical valve anyone knows about that can be wired
to a switch?

My Alfetta has this missing and my car was getting very hot the
other day in traffic. My red "overheat" light came on but within a
couple of minutes I was on the freeway and my speed cooled things
down and extinguished the light. A few drops of coolant forced it's
way out of the plastic overflow bottle, but nothing burst. Another
question for the digest is: does anyone think I did any engine damage?
If so, can I know for sure, or does it just manifest itself with a premature
head gasket failure. This head was installed 2 years ago, so I wouldn't
expect a failure anytime soon under normal conditions. Can I check
for something now? How about other components taking the heat?

Thanks,
Stefano
Oakland, CA