Steering box play, '87 Spider

Hi Group:

What's the deal with steering play in an '87 Spider with the ZF box? A few months ago I tightened the box to remove the free-play on center. The other day I had to stop and move an object that was blocking my entry into the garage, with the steering at almost full left lock. Getting back into the car, as I grabbed the wheel, I noticed LOTS of free-play. Normal? It can't be felt during driving, presumably because both wheels are loaded by lateral forces during cornering, and also because I rarely see full lock when cornering. During my last inspection a few months ago, when I tightened the box on-center, all suspension joints were in great shape. My '74 Spider has the Burman box, so I thought I'd ask before comparing the two cars.

Regards,

Dean
Lutz, FL
'74 & '87 Spider Veloce's