Question from an electrical illiterate

Went into the garage about dusk to start up the Spider, noticed that neither
of the footwell lights came on when I opened the car door. "Rats!" I
thought, "Blew a fuse." But I hadn't; the clock and brake lights on the same
circuit were still working. Then, as I dragged my big old 12EEE foot into
the cockpit, it touched the clutch pedal, exerting slight pressure to the
right. The footwell lights came on, then went off when I released the
sideways pressure. After amusing myself for a few moments in typical
Butthead fashion by sending SOS signals to my feet, I ventured some
additional rightward pressure. The footwell lights came on and stayed on
until shutting off in the usual manner about 15 seconds after I turned the
key.
Anybody know what gives, or if I should be concerned?

Mike Trimble
Denton, Texas
'89 Spider Veloce