Re: making a hydraulic press

MVICTOR448@domain.elided wrote:
Does anyone have plans for making a small press; one that could be used for pressing wheel bearings, as an example? Seems to me some angle iron and a small hydraulic jack would be the key components. Thanks!
For a cadillac hydralic press check out these plans:
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=hydraulic+press+group:sci.engr.joining.welding&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=sci.engr.joining.welding&safe=off&selm=120420030243559673%25ernie%40stagesmith.com&rnum=2

Ernie Leimkuhler is _the_ man, a first rate welder/blacksmith/teacher/fabricator... anyone in the pacific NW looking to learn something about these topics should look him up. I think he teaches at a community college in the Seattle area. He's extremely generous with his time/help. I wish it wasn't a 3k mile commute to take his classes.

For something simple, you might also want to consider an Arbor press. More controlled than a hydralic press. I got a 2 ton arbor press (about 80lbs of cast iron) for about $70 delivered from Enco. Even if you want a hydraulic unit, I'd check their prices first, before Harbor Freight. Their customer support is loads better, and the average quality of what they supply is much higher too. I got a very nice set of digital micrometers from them a few months ago for about $50. I was surprised to find they were in perfect agreement with my grandfather's prized Starett mic and one of my fancy fully electronic mics.

Their catalog is pretty nice (and free too.) http://www.use-enco.com/

--Mark
The Alfa Wiki: http://alfa.denovich.org