Re: Cat Converter - which way?

On  Thu, 22 May 2003 "j/m" <alfa-sport@domain.elided> wrote
"Generally universal aftermarket catalytic converters do not have a flow
direction, unless marked.
Does your cat have a side air tube?  If not, it is non-directional.
If so, the air tube should point towards the front of the car when
installed.
What brand is it?"

It is an IAP cat converter.
The rest of the story is that this work was done last August, and
starting immediately afterwards, and for the past several thousand
miles since then, the car sometimes stinks a mildly unpleasant, almost
rotten-egg smell.
Because this smell problem started immediately after replacing the ex
manifold w IAP
header, I suspect exhaust somewhere, altho it doesn't seem to be
emanating directly from the tailpipe, and it is not constant.
The cat converter would seem to be prime culprit, and I have wondered if it
was because
it was installed backwards, thus my original question.
It is installed w the heat shield up (towards the floor pan),
and with side air tube on right side pointed forward.

(obtw, I'm a little PO'ed at IAP in that there was no indication
that I would need to replace the CC until reading the Tech Bulletin
that came w the headers.  This little tidbit is not in their catalog or on
their website)

dave martin